2005 Jul 08 21:41

Re: [vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?

--- Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:
> So, here's a very short survey...  What do YOU use Linux for?
> (Server? Desktop? PDA? Appliance?  What services do you run?
> What desktop apps do you use?  ... and anything else you can think
> of! :^) )
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> -bill!

Hi all:

I haven't been posting much lately, so here goes:

In short I use linux for: everything.  I just swore off windows after I
needed to reinstall for the millionth time.  So I said forget it, and
just stopped playing my games (the only thing useful you can do with
windows, IMHO).

So here is the list:

Servers:  BIND for DNS, Apache for webserver, qmail and cyrus for mail
server, postgres for databases, mdadm for raid storage, iptables for
router boxes, samba for windows file and printer sharing, ssh/sftp for
remote admin/file transfer, proftpd for anonymous ftp.

Workstations:  Mozilla/firefox for browsing, Mutt/moz mail/thunderbird
for email.  OpenOffice for documents/spreadsheets.  Toolkit for
Conceptual Modeling (TCM) is a great package for doing workflows and
program/data flow models/charts.  Xterm is my terminal, and bash my
shell.  I also use rdesktop for connecting to (*blech*) windows
machines.  CD/DVD mastering is done with XCDRoast and growisofs
(XCDRoast as a frontend to mkisofs to create the images, and growisofs
to 'cut' the cd/dvd).

Development:  Vi.  Python. C/C++(gcc).  A bit of perl, but not too
much.  Also, there is our proprietary database solution that has it's
own ObjectScript which is very nice and quite powerful.  I have messed
around with Eclipse and KDevelop, but I always go back to Vi for
editing source.  I just feel broken without it :).  Also, I use vi and
Quanta for writing the few web pages I have done.

Home/Fun stuff:  Mostly just xine for watching avi's and DVD's.  Gimp
for my image tinkering.

I really like the SimplyMEPIS distro for home use, it's been quite a
long time since I tried a debian distro, and this one is really really
really nice, I would suggest to anyone (it's very user- and
new-to-linux-friendly).

I don't IRC much anymore, but Gaim works when I do.  But I play Yahoo!
games (cribbage) pretty often and SimplyMEPIS comes installed with both
Flash plugin and java plugin installed and working correctly with
firefox.  It's really a nice distro for home/fun use (it's also a
livecd, so it can be used like knoppix).

Anyhow, that's all I can think about right now.  Hope that helps
someone!

--thanks

jan

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.
    Martin Luther King Jr., Accepting Nobel Peace Prize, Dec. 10, 1964