2005 Jul 08 18:28

Re: [vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?

Re: [vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?

I am here to say that you don't have to be a computer whiz to use Linux.  I am an Ironworker whose main hobby is staring at this screen.  I have been using Linux exclusively for 3 years.

I use Linux for the everyday uses most people use any computer for.  Firefox for web browsing, Thunderbird for E-Mail, XMMS for listening to MP3's, OpenOffice.org for my spreadsheet habit and the few documents I have to write.  I use the Gimp for scanning and restoring old family pictures, Adobe Acrobat for viewing PDF's.  When I feel the need for wasting my time I like to play Tali, which is basically computerized Yahtzee.

My daughter, who is in college, uses a Linux computer as her main computer and she is certainly no computer geek.

One of the things I like most about Linux is security.  During the LoveBug virus a couple of years ago I was getting a lot mail from friends and relatives whose Windows machines had been infected but I  never had any problems.

Dick