2005 Jul 06 15:42

Re: [vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 03:16:18PM -0700, Norm Matloff wrote:
> 1.  There is no question that Linux software is insufficient for game
> addicts and the like.

(Staring at my Pac Man and Star Raiders manuals and classic Electronic Arts
5.25" floppy cases on his wall, and his Atari 2600 controller t-short)

Depends on the addict. ;^)

As much as I love games, I probably wouldn't play many on Windows, either.
I've got a much shorter attention span, I suppose, so I stick to quick games
on the PlayStation 2 (and name pretty much every system created prior,
sitting in my office at home). :^)

<snip>
> 6.  Lastly, a confession:  Even I recently broke down and made a
> concession to Windows. :-)

Noooooo!!!  ;^)

> Since I am often away from the office, I use
> www.efax.com as my vehicle for receiving faxes.  Anyone who wants to fax
> to me phones a fax number as usual, but it's www.efax.com's number, and
> they then e-mail me the fax as an image.  They have free and pay versions.
> For Unix people, the free version used to be a straight TIFF file, but
> no more.

I used a similar service called (eventually) JFax.  I had a basic free
account, which gave me a fax # in Davis which, as you describe, sent a
TIFF to me.

I rarely got real faxes.  I got plenty of "Disney Vacation" and
"Stock Tip" and "Mortage Rate!" fax advertising ("spam"?), though.
Eventually, the service provider said "you're receiving too many faxes,
you'll need to start paying for your account."  I was, like, "screw that,
it's all frickin' spam!"  No response from them, so I just cancelled it.

> Now one needs either to use the company's proprietary image
> viewer for Windows, or pay for the Unix TIFF version.

Wow, what, does the Windows image viewer include ads, or something?
(A la the free versions of Adobe Acrobat reader and Opera?)  Ugh.

bill@newbreedsoftware.com       Sunnyvale Baylands Park, Sunday, August 14th