2005 Jun 20 16:27

Re: [vox] [fwd] Re: LUGOD and Public Commonwealth Project

As promised.  Ethan will be talking a little about this at tonight's
meeting, before Henry's presentation.  (We might also want to wrangle
the DCN folks into this collaboration, too :^) )

----- Forwarded message from Ethan Ireland <ethan@dminfo.com> -----

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:49:12 -0700
From: ethan <ethan@dminfo.com>
Subject: Re: [vox-officers] Re: LUGOD and Public Commonwealth Project
To: Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>

Hiya, Bill.

I'd like to meet up with you and the LUGODders - tonight at your meeting
if possible.  I can't stick around for terrifically long, but since I'm
guessing you and the rest of the gang have read through my project
proposal & the show outline you already pretty much know the score.

Listen, I'm interested in doing a recurring series similar to the old
PBS art series "The Secret City" (if you remember that one) - where
viewers can drop in and get *something* out of a single episode, but
more if they watch them in sequential order.  I'm still not sure, but I
think the show has potential to eventually go on to become a series in
its own right.  I'd like to know what kind of hardware & software
resources you & LUGOD have at your disposal; ideally, I'd like to do a
series in which the hosts build a working computer system from the
ground up (preferrably from cast-off or recycled parts) while at the
same time covering basic computer theory.

I think Davy had the right idea in getting us in touch with each other,
because if I remember correctly from what Jan Wynholds told me, LUGOD is
very much interested in elevating the computer literacy of the general
public, which is exactly how I feel.  Whaddya say?

-Ethan

--
-bill!                         Linux vs Windows studies can be divided into:
bill@newbreedsoftware.com        1. Studies paid for by Microsoft