2005 Jun 09 11:43

[vox] [fwd] Software Freedom Day 2005 [Sept 10th; should we demo?]

Should LUGOD 'participate' in this event by holding a demo that day?
(It's a Saturday.)  It looks like we can register to receive free materials
to give away at the event (if we do so before July 1st).

-bill!
(who's only skimmed the email, so far!)

----- Forwarded message from Matt Oquist <moquist@majen.net> -----

Date: Thu,  9 Jun 2005 00:40:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Oquist <moquist@majen.net>
Subject: Software Freedom Day 2005
To: pr@lugod.org
Dear LUG,

Mark September 10th 2005 on your calendar! It is the second annual
Software Freedom Day. We are staging a range of events around the
world to raise public awareness of Free and Open Source Software.

This is a global grassroots effort, and we invite you to join in the
celebration and help spread the word! Over 70 teams joined the
celebration in 2004, organizing a range of events at schools,
universities and public places, and collectively distributing more
than 5000 CD packs. This year, we have every opportunity to grow and
make an even greater impact on community awareness.

What will happen?

You may celebrate the day locally however you would like, but we
encourage you to engage in some sort of outreach activity to spread
the FOSS message in your community. For example, you could organise a
seminar or an installfest or simply invite people to meet up in the
park for a picnic.

If you want to participate, please stop by the SFD website and
register[1] a team so that others in your area can find you and hook
up. Our website and wiki have pictures and reports from some of the
SFD2004 events, so you can get an idea of what worked well. If you
participated last year, please join us again, and please share your
experiences with the new teams.

How does it work?

Just like last year, we will prepare special promotional materials for
distribution by the SFD teams. In 2004 this included ISO images of a
custom version of TheOpenCD[1] and a custom version of Knoppix along
with some printed materials. Due to our budget constraints we were
only able to produce CD covers while the local teams did a great job
of burning their own CDs and copying materials.

This year we will create a single CD containing both a Live Linux
image and some Windows-FOSS for this purpose. We have funding from our
primary sponsor for up to 15,000 of our custom CDs shipped out to 150
teams world-wide! In addition, other supplies (such as t-shirts and
balloons) will be available, but the quantities and distribution
process of these items is not yet determined (this depends in part on
the availability of additional funding).

By June 15th we will provide a simple supply request form where
established teams can request CDs and possibly other materials for
SFD. Be sure to get in your application for supplies before the July 1st
deadline so we can get the supplies produced and distributed in
time for the event.

What can I do?

The best way to participate is to start forming a SFD team and start
planning local celebrations. Make sure you register[1] as an official
team so you can apply for sponsorship of materials.

We also need help with lots of things on the global level:

Writing: We would appreciate well-written articles about SFD or about
FOSS in general that can be submitted to local media or distributed on
the day. Form letters that can be sent to schools, businesses
government organisation, etc. will also be useful.

Material Design: We have some artwork already, but we need designs for
the SFD 2005 CD labels and covers, as well as T-shirts, balloons,
stickers, or even temporary tattoos!  If you or your friends have some
artistic inclinations feel free to pop into the SFD Forums to share
your ideas and your work.

Donations: SFD funds cover the costs of material and logistics support
that we provide. The more funds we have available, the more material
and logistical support we can provide for teams world-wide. So don't
feels shy about donating :) Any surplus funds can be used for
advertizing in the week before the event.  Donations can be made
online at the SFD website.

Getting in touch

Please stop by our forum or join #sfd on freenode IRC. We have set up
a temporary mailing list here[2] where people can hook up, but we will
provide more regional lists as the needs arise.

Best wishes and Happy Software Freedom Day 2005!

Regards,
Matt Oquist

[1] http://www.theopencd.org/
[2] http://softwarefreedomday.org/index.php?option=com_mosforms&mosform=1&Itemid=50

SoftwareFreedomDay.org :
   Celebrating Free and Open Source Software in Your Community
info AT softwarefreedomday.org

----- End forwarded message -----

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://newbreedsoftware.com/