2005 Jun 07 18:06

Re: [vox] Debian Sarge released!

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 07:29:03AM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> Bill made this announcement yesterday.  I was wondering where this left me.
>
> Am I now Etch?  The endings in my sources list are like this
>
> "deb http://sluglug.ucsc.edu/debian/ testing main"

You are now etch.

> But I recently noticed that when Debian was shutting down there was an entry
> on the screen like "Debian Linux 3.1."

Unstable has also said Debian Linux 3.1 for the longest time. They'll
change it back to say Testing/Unstable sometime in the next few days.
It may take as many as ten days for that change to reach testing.

> And for the last two days I have not received any apt updates.

That's because testing was frozen and there were no changes that still
needed to be made. Now that sarge is released, testing should be
unfrozen and a bunch of changes from unstable should propagate to
reach testing (I think. It may be that nobody made changes to unstable
that aren't also in testing during the freeze, in which case nothing
should propagate)

See my post at
http://www.lugod.org/mailinglists/archives/vox/2005-05/msg00019.html
for more information about what to expect.

> I want to remain in testing.  I do not want to be in stable.  So do I do
> nothing?  Do I have to install Etch?

You do nothing.

--Ken Bloom