2005 Jun 01 08:18

Re: [vox] Buying MP3s online

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:48:23PM -0700, Adam Carlson wrote:
> allofmymp3.com is about the most advanced online music store I've seen
> with everything with a pricing scheme that I think is awesome(you pick
> whatever codec you want and pay a flat fee for the bandwidth.  If you
> want a cd ripped in flac or 256 kbps ogg you can get it, it will just
> cost you extra to download the larger files)......unfortunately rumor
> has it that it is run by the russian mob and that the actual copyright
> holders won't get a dime.
>
> The only validity I've found is this article talking about it being
> investigated:
>
> http://www.onlinereporter.com/TORbackissues/TOR433.htm
>
> "Russian authorities are reportedly investigating the Russian Web site
> Allofmymp3.com for selling downloadable digital copies of copyrighted
> music illegally. The site's principles are believed to be offering the
> music both in Russia and internationally without the authorization of
> the rights holders. The Computer Crimes unit of Moscow City Police,
> which was doing the investigation, turned the investigation's report
> over to Moscow's City Prosecutor's office on February 8."

[Rest of article snipped]

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/07/1137212&tid=141&tid=17

"The DA's office determined that while Allofmp3's action are in fact
theoretically illigal - they do not have the permission of all the
artists they feature on the website to distribute their music - in the
Russian copyright law there is no specific prohibition of digital
distribution over the internet, thus the law couldn't be applied
against them."

Ick. It looked like a great site.

--Ken Bloom