2005 May 31 16:14

[vox] Linux-compatible MP3 player recommendations wanted!

[vox] Linux-compatible MP3 player recommendations wanted!

The last time I had an MP3 player, it was an old RIO which I connected to
my Pentium I using a wacky parallel port connector.

These days, the kind of MP3 player I'd want for Linux would probably just
be a USB 'mass storage' device, and/or use a standard memory card, like
Compact Flash (CF) or Secure Digital (SD).  (I have a reader for the former,
which I currently use to get photos out of my camera, and transfer files
quickly to/from my Zaurus.)

Has anyone out here got recommendations for such a beast?  I haven't looked
at MP3 players in a while, and have no idea where to start.  Would an
Apple iPod be usable without lots of crazy configuration and trickery?
(I have a feeling they're way more expensive than they're worth :^) )

What about those Zen things I've seen advertised and in store windows?

(This would be for on-the-go listening, BTW... not for any kind of in-home
use, as we've got Zaurus and laptops and desktops for that. :^) )

Thx!

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://newbreedsoftware.com/