2005 May 10 16:28

Re: [vox] Maybe I will try Kubuntu and ignore Ubuntu

on Sun, May 08, 2005 at 08:07:16PM -0700, Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net) wrote:
> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:21:08PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:

> > You can still install KDE stuff -- I installed both Kate and KMail
> > which are relatively happy on the Gnome desktop.
>
> I've heard Ubuntu "comes with" KDE, but I guess not out-of-the-box.
> Is it trivial to switch completely from the Gnome environment you get
> out of the box, to a completely non-Gnome, KDE-only desktop with
> regular Ubuntu?

The default Ubuntu /etc/apt/sources.list has only the stock Ubuntu
mirror sources uncommented.  A supplemental source, "universe", is
present, but commented.  Uncommenting this (or selecting it explicitly
in Synaptic) will give you a rather broader set of packages.  So yeah,
in general, it's trivial.

From my own experience, 'mc' and 'audacity' were both available when
using Universe, but not stock.

Not sure where KDE hides, but it's in there somewhere.

I'm using Ubuntu in a school setting, where I get to play with it
periodically, though I haven't really lived in it extensively yet.  It's
nice, though.  Went from bare metal to mixing beats in about 1h30m in
class last Thursday.  Including lectures, some exploring options, and
swapping out a bad CDROM drive.

Peace.

    America Trans Air (ATA) customer service sucks:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/ata-sucks.html