2005 May 10 00:08

Re: [vox] Maybe I will try Kubuntu and ignore Ubuntu

Re: [vox] Maybe I will try Kubuntu and ignore Ubuntu

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 05:21:08PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
<smip>
> Somehow I'm just not very concerned with the usability angle
> after spending my last 10 waking hours trying to get an
> ordinary and allegedly-fully-supported (by Sane) scanner
> working.  And before that another couple of days getting a
> printer working with very poorly documented and unsupported
> vendor-supplied drivers.

This was with Kubuntu, Ubuntu, both, or neither?

> I'm batting .500.  The printer works now.

Heh :^)

> Anyway, I've had better luck with Ubuntu than Kubuntu in the
> insurmountable problem department.

(This makes me think the paragraph above was about Kubuntu specifically?)

> You can still install KDE stuff -- I installed both Kate and KMail which are
> relatively happy on the Gnome desktop.

I've heard Ubuntu "comes with" KDE, but I guess not out-of-the-box.
Is it trivial to switch completely from the Gnome environment you get out
of the box, to a completely non-Gnome, KDE-only desktop with regular Ubuntu?

Thx! :)