2005 May 10 00:05

Re: [vox] Maybe I will try Kubuntu and ignore Ubuntu

On Sunday 08 May 2005 17:00, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Heh, I've noticed a LOT of stuff in Gnome has become LESS configurable.
> Gnome 1.x was decent, and I was kind of forced into it via RedHat's default
> packages back in the ~6.0 days.  2.0 has not impressed me at all. :^/

When I first started using Linux regularly, I used the Gnome interface almost
exclusively; I can't remember what it was about KDE that really annoyed me
back then (it was 2001, I think), but I made the decision back then to stick
with Gnome.

But yes, over the past few years, Gnome has grown less and less configurable;
I don't like, for example, that you have to dig deep into the registry to
turn off "spatial browsing"; this, apparently, is somehow a beneficial
feature that you are supposed to really like once you get used to it; all I
know is that it annoyed me in Windows and it annoys me in Gnome.  The fact
that it's easier to turn off in Windows than it is in Gnome is significant, I
think.

But the clincher for me came back in the early part of this year when I had
some serious troubles with Evolution 2 and my Palm OS device.  I never was
able to resolve those problems, and wound up switching to KPilot and KMail
for my e-mail and calendaring needs.  I found that Kontact has more features
and is more configurable than Evolution, and easier for me to use.  I was at
first dismayed that there was no graphical FTP client for KDE, until I
discovered that I could open a Konqueror window to an FTP site and manipulate
files there as if they were on your own desktop.  Then I discovered the Fish
protocol, and I haven't looked back at Gnome since then.  It's not uncommon
for me now at work to have a Konqueror window open to a Samba share, another
open to an FTP site, and a third open to a filesystem on another computer
that I've connected to via SSH.  The fact that I can move files back and
forth between these sites without caring about how they're mounted is
astounding to me; to me it seems that KDE is far more advanced as a UI than
Gnome is, and I wonder why so many distros are Gnome-centric.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com