2005 May 02 13:55

Re: [vox] Grandma's Distro

On Sun, 1 May 2005, Richard Crawford wrote:

What would you all consider to be the best distribution for this sort of
thing?  I'm leaning toward CentOS or White Box Enterprise Linux, since
they're both based on Red Hat Enterprise, and should have the same sort of
release cycle, making it less volatile than Fedora, and such a system would
be easy for me to maintain remotely.  But I'm wide open to suggestions.

Personally, I saw go with the distribution that you feel most comfortable administrating that can be easily, by you, set up to do the tasks your grandmother requires. When it comes to having Linux for a novice user who isn't going to administrate the machine, all that really matters is setting up the UI for the target person and this can be accomplished with a variety of distributions. More important is your comfort level with the remote administration, hence my suggestion to go with what you like in that arena.