January 6: Social gathering
2005 May 02 01:54

Re: [vox] Grandma's Distro

on Sun, May 01, 2005 at 09:21:40PM -0400, David Hummel (dhml@comcast.net) wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 06:12:28PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> >
> > Assume you're building a box for someone who'll be using their
> > computer for the following:
> >
> > 	Word processing
> > 	E-mail
> > 	Web browsing
> >
> > And not a whole lot else.  Let's assuming that the user has no
> > knowledge of computers, but they're on a DSL or other high-speed
> > connection.  The computer will be administered remotely by me, and the
> > user won't have their root password.
> >
> > What would you all consider to be the best distribution for this sort
> > of thing?  I'm leaning toward CentOS or White Box Enterprise Linux,
> > since they're both based on Red Hat Enterprise, and should have the
> > same sort of release cycle, making it less volatile than Fedora, and
> > such a system would be easy for me to maintain remotely.  But I'm wide
> > open to suggestions.
>
> I'd recommend Ubuntu: http://ubuntulinux.org/

Likewise.

My own boxes and servers get Debian.  For that extra end-users and that
extra-special spit'n'polish, Ubuntu's well turned out.  Comparison
points are Debian, Ubuntu, Mandrake 10.1, SuSE 9.x, RH 9.0, and other
older releases of various distros.

I detail some of the overall wins here:

    http://archives.seul.org/schoolforge/discuss/Apr-2005/msg00052.html

Overview:

    Ubuntu:  nice desktop, great management, great infrastructure, good
    details, good extensibility if you don't mind diverging from stated
    goal path, keep an eye on Cannonical's fortunes.  Better than most
    of the competition.  I'm still partial to stock Debian but endorse
    Ubuntu for newcomers with very few reservations.

I've also seen a couple of packaging conflicts, though these may have
been related to out-of-sync package sources.

Peace.

    We must learn to walk before we can run.