2005 Apr 21 21:00

Re: [vox] [OT] Microsoft ad - what does it mean?

on Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 09:57:48AM -0700, Bob Scofield (scofield@omsoft.com) wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2005 00:03, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 11:15:19AM -0700, Marianne Waage wrote:
> > > Again, google saves the day:
> > > 	http://www.netimperative.com/2005/04/13/Microsoft_viral
> >
> > Ah, okay!  So one of my guesses (other than: "they were smoking crack")
> > was right.  They're insulting their customer base! ;^)
> >
> But note the reference to humor ("humour").  Here's what I think.  Several
> years ago advertisers were reading skateboard magazines, and noticed a
> bizarre type of humor popular with the kids.  So advertising has tried to
> appeal to this humor in order to attract younger customers.  The clearest
> example can be seen in the beer commercials we've seen on TV for the last
> three years.  So I think this Microsoft ad campaign is designed to appeal to
> the younger generation.

Um.  Not having seen a hell of a lot of TV for, um, six years, what is
this line of humor?  I _am_ spending a fair bit of time with kids, which
on balance, seems like a mix good for the soul.

Peace.

    This suggests a more troubled future for Gnome than I had imagined.
    - Chip Salzenberg, on GNOME developer attitudes
      http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2004-January/008588.html