2005 Apr 21 00:14

Re: [vox] A philosophical question about partitioning

Re: [vox] A philosophical question about partitioning

On Tuesday 19 April 2005 10:09, ME wrote:
[deleted text]

All I am going to say is that your reasoning is not quite good.  If you want
to protect your file systems from being overfull by zealous users, quota the
file system.  I also have set up many multi user unix systems.  I'm firmly in
the camp that you don't partition unless you absolutely have to(expanding /
is excruciatingly painful, especially when /var has several GB free.)  I've
personally seen that scenario much more often

Partitioning does make defragmenting a bit easier.  I'm not sure how much that
helps these days.  I do remember back in the day if I did a
backup/newfs/restore, I could up the performance of the filesystem by a good
15-20% which helped make the users a bit happier.

Also, I used to hear the argument that sitting through a 9 GB fsck was
painful.  Then again, how is fsck'ing several file systems that add up to 9
GB any different?

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org
Mike Wenk