2005 Apr 18 15:05

Re: [vox] A philosophical question about partitioning

Re: [vox] A philosophical question about partitioning

Richard Crawford said:
[store music in]
> /home/music
[where should I store it on a new system]

For shared variable data some place under /var. Perhaps make a
dir/var/share and in there, make a dir called music
/var/share/music
(for example)

/var is for variable data.. things like logs, web server roots, file
shares that are shared by many users.

If you music is shared by many, then a /var sub directory is one of the
better choices.

/home should really just be user accounts. Pollution of /home with other
dirs that are not usernames can lead to problems when you start adding
many users. (As a result, is not a good convention.)

Looking at others, and you will see they are not good choices:
/tmp (no.)
/proc (heh heh. no!)
/usr (no. /usr, /usr/share, /usr/src, /usr/local (and other /usr should be
used for source an applications and libs-- things that the system uses.)
/bin (no!)
/boot (no)
/dev (hah hah. no!)
/lib (no!)
/mnt (no.)
/opt (no-- this is similar to /usr/ in function, but different in how it
is used to providie much of what admins use /usr/local for)
/root (no.)
/sbin (no!)
/sys (no.)