2005 Apr 04 10:38

Re: [vox] My next little project

Richard S. Crawford wrote:
I know this is a Linux list, but I'm thinking that I would like to build a
router/firewall out of a computer running OpenBSD for my home network,
instead of using the Linksys router/firewall that I'm currently using.

Has anyone had any experience doing this?  I have some very basic
questions that I'd like to ask.

OpenBSD has become a bit of a fad for firewalls among UCD tech staff. I've deployed one and they're not too much trouble once you learn the ins and outs of pf. The network install can go pretty easily (at least as soon as you install bash, eesh, being with a strict bourne shell can drive a spoiled Linux user like myself mad!) There's lots of options, and having a firewall that does transparent bridging (no ethernet interface on the box has an IP) is a rather cool security hack. Makes remote admin hard, but hey ;-), probably best to have that off the firewall anyway.

--
Sam Peterson
skpeterson@ucdavis.edu