2005 Mar 28 15:56

Re: [vox] My next little project

The elder gods, manifesting through Bill Kendrick, recently decreed:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:37:21PM +0000, Michael Long wrote:
>> My current firewall is a bsd layer2 bridge. Works like a champ. I don't
>> think anyone would have a problem with you posting questions to this
>> list. Might be informative to others who are thinking of experimenting
>> with other OS's.
>
> Indeed, despite the club's name, we accept all kinds of Unix-flavored
> topics, even Mac OS X (though that never seems to come up very often)

I should have known.  I've even posted Solaris-related questions to this
list and not been banned.  :-D

Excellent responses; Charles McLaughlin in particular gave me some really
good food for thought.

For the record:

I've never built a firewall/router before; I've always just relied on my
little Linksys machine.  But now I've got a spare computer lying around
(an old Intel Celeron notebook, 300MHz, 4GB hard drive, 96MB RAM), which
may do the job, even if it is a bit small (I wasn't planning on installing
X on it).  I've been interested in playing with OpenBSD because I've heard
it's great for security and has a relatively small footprint.  I suspect
the biggest challenge will be that the computer only has one PCMCIA slot,
which means that I can only have one NIC card in it.  I'll be looking at
USB interfaces.  But after I installed Gentoo from Stage 2 tarballs onto
an aging SunBlade 100 Sparc64, I think I'm definitely ready to start
expanding my horizons.  ;-)

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)