2005 Mar 25 22:13

Re: [vox] Exploits for non-admin accounts in Windows?

on Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 06:15:43AM -0800, Richard Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com) wrote:

> Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > So:  I'm really not sure what the current state of the art is, but
> > history, anecdote, and example strongly usggest your IT manager is
> > thinking wishfully.
>
> Thanks Karsten.
>
> What I'm generally hearing, through responses on this list and based on
> my research on line, is that while running a Windows computer as a
> non-admin user is preferable to running it as an admin user, it is by no
> means a guarantee that the computer is safe from malware.  It's just
> that the risks are reduced.

Pretty much.

> I was curious primarily because of this fellow's history; he doesn't
> seem to understand why I prefer Firefox to IE and Thunderbird to
> Outlook.  And he frequently wants to know what those weird attachments
> to my e-mails are.

Well, so long as you're signing in-line, he shouldn't have any
questions.  If you want to switch back to MIME-encoded GPG sigs, you can
always point him at:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Rants/gpg-signed-mail.html

;-)

Peace.

   Microsoft Outlook:  the security hole that happens to be an email client
   - Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, in "How to avoid ILOVEYOU", May, 2000