January 6: Social gathering
2005 Mar 23 22:57

Re: [vox] Exploits for non-admin accounts in Windows?

Re: [vox] Exploits for non-admin accounts in Windows?

On 23 Mar 2005, at 21:32, Richard Crawford wrote:
I was told today by the IT manager in our office that if you don't run
your Windows computer as an administrator, you never need to worry about
adware and spyware and viruses. This seems like an awfully fishy claim
to me, but maybe I'm just over-paranoid. Am I?

Think of it like any Unix or Unix-like OS... You don't typically log in as root. Adding your daily account to the Local Admins group on Windows is like making your regular Unix account UID 0. You're not risking the entire installation, only your own profile or files owned/writable by you.

I would request 2 accounts, one for daily use that is a member of Domain Users or Local Users, as appropriate, and another account that is a member of Local Admins. Since W2K, Windows has added a new option to the contextual menu for executables, "Run As..." This allows you to run things, after authenticating, as a different user.

IAMNA Developer. Windows, in it's mysterious ways, may require Admin access for some development processes. Consult your Microsoft KB.

Regards,
Greg