2005 Mar 15 00:03

Re: [vox] News from Vancouver: Debian to cut to 4 major arches forEtch (and Sarge news...)

on Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:48:51AM -0800, Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net) wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 09:47:32PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > This is buzz right now on #debian IRC channels.
>           ^^^^
>
> No pun intended, I'm sure. :^)

Huh?  It would be might bo-ld of you to suggest I'm being a ham,
slinking off with various woody puns.  I mean, isn't that a cardinal
Sid?

> >     We project that applying these rules for etch will reduce the set of
> >     candidate architectures from 11 to approximately 4 (i386, powerpc,
> >     ia64 and amd64 -- which will be added after sarge's release when
> >     mirror space is freed up by moving the other architectures to
> >     scc.debian.org).
>
> I'm sad that ARM is not included, as aren't there some PDA 'distros' based
> on Debian?  (Or maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.)

Clarification:

    SSC arches _can_ and _will_ continue to exist.  What _won't_ happen
    anymore is for stable releases to be held up on account of them.
    Might also be a kick in the pants for manufacturers of SCC arches to
    be more forthcoming with support (kernel, buildds, etc.) if they
    want to see Debian continue to focus on their product as a priority.

> >     This will drastically reduce the architecture
> >     coordination required in testing, giving us a more limber release
> >     process and (it is hoped) a much shorter release cycle on the order
> >     of 12-18 months.
>
> Shorter release cycle will be nice. :^)

I'll see it when I believe it ;-)

Peace.

   GNU/Linux web browsing mini review:  Galeon v1.2.5.  Kicks ass.
     http://galeon.sourceforge.org/