2005 Mar 14 12:18

Re: [vox] [OT] Alternate Vehicle Advice

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 10:37:54PM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

I haven't seen a diesel vehicle mentioned. Diesels' get nearly as good mileage as hybrids and are popular in Europe. I looked and VW sells a diesel Golf... but not in CA! I'm curious what people on the list thinks about diesels. I had one once (VW Jetta) and really liked it.

My neighbor either has converted, or was planning to convert, his diesel VW
into a biodiesel.  I've seen many of them at WEF, as well.

How do fuel efficiency & emissions compare between regular diesel and
non-diesel, and regular diesel and bio-diesel?
(I suppose I could Google or Wikipedia it... ;^) )

I don't know about bio-diesel. My non-technical impression is that fuel efficiency for regular diesel is roughly 50% more than regular gas. Diesel does have a stigma of being "dirty". While it is true that diesel farm tractors and semi trucks pollute, the technology in new diesel passenger cars make them as clean as regular cars (again, that is my non-technical impression). Maybe someone with more technical knowledge would like to comment.

Jonathan