2005 Mar 14 23:59

Re: [vox] News from Vancouver: Debian to cut to 4 major arches forEtch (and Sarge news...)

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 09:47:32PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> This is buzz right now on #debian IRC channels.
          ^^^^

No pun intended, I'm sure. :^)

> As of etch (next release after sarge), Debian will split itself to
> "major" and "SCC" (second-class citizen) arches.  Major arches are i386,
> powerpc, ia64, and amd64.
<snip>

>     We project that applying these rules for etch will reduce the set of
>     candidate architectures from 11 to approximately 4 (i386, powerpc,
>     ia64 and amd64 -- which will be added after sarge's release when
>     mirror space is freed up by moving the other architectures to
>     scc.debian.org).

I'm sad that ARM is not included, as aren't there some PDA 'distros' based
on Debian?  (Or maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.)

>     This will drastically reduce the architecture
>     coordination required in testing, giving us a more limber release
>     process and (it is hoped) a much shorter release cycle on the order
>     of 12-18 months.

Shorter release cycle will be nice. :^)