2005 Mar 13 06:57

Re: [vox] [OT] Alternate Vehicle Advice

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Michael Wenk wrote:
[snip]
> in sac, pretty flat in the midwest)  The only difference really was the gas
> itself.  Apparently it has less energy in it, or the stuff they throw in
> it(cleaners/MTBE/ethanol) reduces the efficiency.  Now one thing I used to
> wonder is that if reducing the pollution is the purpose of oxygenating the
> fuel, then wouldn't the side effect of reducing the efficiency cause the net
> pollution to be the same?
[snip]

It's a much debate here in California.  i.e.,

  http://ucanr.org/delivers/impactview.cfm?impactnum=232
  http://tsrtp.ucdavis.edu/mtbe/

I read somewhere that the proponents argue the additives reduce the air
pollution by less than 1% so it's difficult to measure the actual positive
impact of the additives on the environment.  People who argue against it
seem to think it's a political move to help out a certain industry.
Whatever.  It's not like I get much choice.  Let's keep those hybrid cars
coming...

BTW, I'm surprised there's that much difference in your mileage... I
wouldn't think you'd get more than 5mpg difference at best.  Even if your
driving pattern hasn't changed, your car's age has, and where you drive
and for how long as well as the stop light and stop sign location has.
I've noticed I get better mileage if I don't use my brakes as often (ie.,
on the freeway during non-commute hours) and if I have more load in my car
(more stuff in my car or more passengers in my car -- apparently helps
with the inertial motion) so how many stop signs are between the places I
commute, how much freeway I take, as well as how many things I have in my
trunk all affect the gas mileage.  Possibly some of those other factors
are also impacting your mileage?

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim