2005 Mar 11 19:28

Re: [vox] Upgrading Applications in Debian

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:30:56AM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:

> If that's the case, then it seems to me that the non-geek simple desktop user
> has a very good reason to use Debian.

My wife and my father both use Debian desktops.  My dad's machine is old
and hooked up via dialup, and is in sore need of an upgrade. (I believe it's
using Woody with some backports of KDE 3.0 or 3.1! Yikes!)

But for his needs, it works fine.  For Melissa, Debian has no more issues
than any other Linux distro would, I think.  She's also learned to use
apt-get and apt-cache to look for packages she wants.  (Of course, she's
more of a command-line person than the typical user.  For a typical user,
I'd set up kioapt and other GUI stuff for maintaining the system and
installing new software.)