2005 Mar 07 11:15

Re: [vox] [OT] SPDIF (Digital Audio) cable dimensions, price?

Re: [vox] [OT] SPDIF (Digital Audio) cable dimensions, price?

Thank you, Ted, Paul, and lugod-at-jbbrown9-dot-mailshell-dot-com!!

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Ted Deppner wrote:
[snip]
> On the SB32 I have and I believe the SB Audigy, the spidf is a 0.1"
> spacing.
[snip]

Awesome!

> A while back (10 years), you could buy 0.1" spacing jumper headers in a
> single row of about 50 or 100 at a whack.
[snip]

Awww~ where art thou, 10 years...~!

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Paul wrote:
[snip]
> Dig around in the bins at HSC, you might find something that might work
> (or if you're like me, something you didn't know you needed :-)

Yep!  Checked online already... wish I could go there in person but I now
live down in socal.  Also checked All Electronics (local equivalent of
HSC, I suppose, except they got a really good online and mail order
system... they don't stock items as well as HSC, though.)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 lugod@jbbrown9.mailshell.com wrote:

> An alternative would be flat flex cable. I checked digikey, and you can
> get 40 sets of 2 conductor 2" wire for $20. I think you could find a way
> to put the ends in sockets, but I haven't tried so you'd have to make
> sure.

Awesome!

::checking...::

Awww... they don't stock the cables of the length I need (~14")...
awww~...  But it was a good idea!

Come to think of it, I hope the cable length won't interfere with the
clarity of the signals.  Hmm...

> If you go with headers, you can get double row headers that are scored
> and break them off to make pairs. I think you can get those at HSC and
> they'd end up costing a couple bucks for as much as you'd need. If you
> can't find them, let me know and I could probably send you some.

Yep!!  Already done.  (Got 'em from Fry's and plan to get a few more from
All Electronics this week.)

> HSC would probably sell the parts to make spdif cables, but that would
> mean soldering on 160 connectors. Yuck. Maybe they'll have a pile of
> them in a bin for $0.25 each.

I wish they did!  And I wish I could go there!!!

Thank you guys~!!  I think I'll go ahead with the $0.75/ea SPDIF cable,
knowing that I'm making a pretty good decision.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius