January 6: Social gathering
2005 Mar 06 16:18

Re: [vox] [OT] SPDIF (Digital Audio) cable dimensions, price?

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 11:02:37PM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> So here comes my question: Does anyone know if the spacing of the holes on
> this cable is the 0.1" spacing commonly found on PCBs including PCs?  I'm
> planning to plug this into PCB header pins that are also 0.1" spacing (the
> normal black 4-pin CDROM audio connector fits on these.)

On the SB32 I have and I believe the SB Audigy, the spidf is a 0.1"
spacing.

> Also, anyone know of a cheaper way to connect 40 pairs of electronic
> components?  I can't simply solder on wires because the connections need
> to be configurable.  I thought about RJ11 connectors but the female ends
> are expensive (cheapest I've found are $0.49ea, so if I get one pair it's
> $0.90, just for the female ends, and RJ11 connectors are far from small.)

A while back (10 years), you could buy 0.1" spacing jumper headers in a
single row of about 50 or 100 at a whack.  They were breakable, so you
could break them at whatever number of pins you wanted.  I suspect this
would be pretty cheap if you find a good source for them.  You really
don't need a housing around the pins typically, just the pins should be
fine I would guess.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/