2005 Mar 06 11:07

[vox] [OT] SPDIF (Digital Audio) cable dimensions, price?

[vox] [OT] SPDIF (Digital Audio) cable dimensions, price?

Hello,

Not Linux specific, but this is a fairly technical question.

I'm looking to purchase several CDROM_drive-to-sound_card SPDIF connector
used inside a PC.  It looks like the black 4-pin analog audio cable used
to connect CDROM drives to sound cards except it's half the size
(2-pins) and is for digial signal.  It looks like this:

   http://www.rogerssystems.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=328

I'm not using this for CDROMs or sound cards; I just need several small
and cheap 2 or 4-pin connector for a project I'm working on and this is
the cheapest connector I could find.  I need to purchase about 40 of 'em
($0.75ea if I get 50 of 'em), which will get expensive, so I just need to
make sure I'm purchasing the right thing.

So here comes my question: Does anyone know if the spacing of the holes on
this cable is the 0.1" spacing commonly found on PCBs including PCs?  I'm
planning to plug this into PCB header pins that are also 0.1" spacing (the
normal black 4-pin CDROM audio connector fits on these.)

Also, anyone know of a cheaper way to connect 40 pairs of electronic
components?  I can't simply solder on wires because the connections need
to be configurable.  I thought about RJ11 connectors but the female ends
are expensive (cheapest I've found are $0.49ea, so if I get one pair it's
$0.90, just for the female ends, and RJ11 connectors are far from small.)

Thanks!!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim