2005 Mar 04 14:51

[vox] Re: Need to keep reinstalling modem

[vox] Re: Need to keep reinstalling modem

My other problem -- the hard drive accelerator -- has been rendered null
and void.  I hadn't realized that the new DVD drives can read/write BOTH
CD's and DVS's.  So I don't need to have a CD-ROM, a CD/RW, a DVD-ROM
and a DVD-RW, so I don't need an extra IDE port or two at ALL!  Huzzah!

However, I never got an answer on my modem problem:

I have a US Robotics /3Com OEM 2976 modem. I ran the RPM file from 3Com, and here's an excerpt from the description:

It basically parses the PCI device list created during boot. If it
finds a 3Com controller based modem it will then call setserial with
the appropriate parameters. If no parameter is passed 3ComMdm will
default to /dev/ttyS3. If you installed the 3ComMdm program from
the RPM archive 3ComMdm-1.0-1.rpm then your system should be ready
to go every time you boot. The installation provided the /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial script and the proper linkage with /dev/modem.

Sounds good, but every time I boot up it reverts to the external modem. If I run the script again, it works fine until the next time I reboot, then I'm back where I started.

So, why doesn't SuSe automotically load the serial script each time it
boots?  Help appreciated.  This is my only remaining SuSe problem, at
least for now

Thanks,

Bruce Duncan
hatter@calweb.com