2005 Mar 03 23:55

Re: [vox] Mounting a Shared Win2k Drive for Students--no write access?

on Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:46:42PM -0800, Steve Hargadon (steve.hargadon@gmail.com) wrote:
> > You can't chmod mountpoint permissions where the underlying FS doesn't
> > support permissions.  man mount and read the umask/fmask uid/gid options
> > for your filesystem.
>
> OK, I understand.
>

> > The underlying filesystem is (mostly) orthogonal to use of SMB/CIFS.
> > The networking protocol handles the underlying file permissions.  RTFM
> > for particulars, as filesystems which have *no* u/g/w symantics present
> > their own special curves.
> >

> This I cannot understand.  I must go back into my cave and continue my
> studies...

u/g/w:  user, group, world.

  - user permissions apply to the owner of a file or directory.
  - group permissions apply to the group owner of a file or directory.
  - world permissions apply to _all_ users on the system.

This is reflected in the GNU/Linux permission string, where 'r' is read,
'w' is write, and 'x' is execute (there's a few other bits to worry
about, 'man chmod' for more info):

  - rwx rwx rwx
    `+' `+' `+'
     |   |   |
     |   |   +-- World permissions
     |   +-- Group permissions
     +-- Owner permissions

E.g.:  DOS's FAT filesystem allows specifing permissions (read, write)
and attributes (system, hidden), but *not* ownership.  DOS doesn't have
the concept of system users, and FAT doesn't support file ownership.

Samba, serving a share based on FAT, has to punt, then.  You're left
with the situation you're describing here:  hard-assignment of
permissions to u/g/w through your mount command.

More usually, you'll offer shares to specific users, and _that_ user
will have write permission to the share, but not other users (who may or
may not have access at all).  E.g.:  a typical GNU/Linux Samba server
configuration employs GNU/Linux users each with their own home
directory, which then is served as the Samba share for that user.

Getting back to my previous post, the *first* rule of GNU/Linux
filesystme security is that you pretty much *never* allow world-write
access to a file.  Too many bad things can happen, particularly where a
user writes a file and then trusts it to contain sane content.  As a
consequence, the _safe_ way to provide shared access to a filesystem
that _doesn't_ have ownership symantics is to create a role group (a
group associated with a specific role on your system), add selected
users to that group, and then mount the device with r/w access for
_that_ group.

Example from my system for floppy mounts (/etc/fstab):

/dev/sda    /mnt/floppy vfat  user,gid=floppy,umask=0007          0    0

...which is:  Mount the floppy (/dev/sda -- it's a USB external drive)
as /mnt/floppy, vfat format, with effective group ID 'floppy', umask
0007 (r/w/x for user and group, *no* permissons for world).

Why all this paranoia about world permissions?  Because you've got an
inherhently multiuser system, and may well be running processes which
allow external inputs.  Should someone find a remote exploit and get an
unprivileged (non-root) shell on your system, they still can't read your
files, because they don't have permission to do so.

Peace.

    There's been too much gaming of the system until it is broke.  Capitalism
    is not working! There has been a corrupting of the system of capitalism.
    - Alan Greenspan, Federal Reserve Chairman, 2002