2005 Mar 03 20:24

Re: [vox] One more reason to prefer Linux...

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 12:41:10PM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
>
> > And behold, Micah Cowan flailed at a keyboard and did expound:
> >
> > > The exception to this could be if a faulty video driver hung. But
> > > of course, if this happened to Windows, you wouldn't be able to
> > > get a task manager, either. :-)
> >
> > Yes, this is true.  I hadn't thought of that.  But even if my Linux
> > box had a faulty video driver, I'd still be able to SSH into it to
> > examine the situation pretty easily.
>
> As someone who has had to cope with exactly such problems in Linux, I
> can assure you that you are wrong.
>
> Bugs in ANY kernel code can bring your trusty Linux box to a
> screeching halt... completely.

Yes, but the discussion is about crashes related to X, not the kernel.
The point is that even if X freezes hard, the solution that Richard
mentions is a viable approach to recover without rebooting (granted that
networking is up, sshd is running, and one has a spare system to login
from).

-David