2005 Mar 03 10:13

[vox] Fw: [bad] EFF PVR Build-In, Saturday 12 March, 11AM

--Signature_Thu__3_Mar_2005_08_45_55_-0800_isxHwA6W2gkais2+

Bay Area Debian is announcing a PVR build-in on March 12

--Ken Bloom

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:28:01 -0800
From: Tony Godshall <togo@of.net>
To: bad@bad.debian.net, buug@weak.org
Subject: ANNOUNCE: EFF PVR Build-In, Saturday 12 March, 11AM

[I previously posted...]
> Subject: [buug] Re: Anyone interested in doing a EFF PVR build-in?
> ... as described in...
>
> http://eff.org/broadcastflag/cookbook/buildin.php
>
> I can host a half dozen or so at my apt in Alameda.
> My cable brings in, I think, a couple of free HDTV
> channels, and we get 3Mbps.
>
> Alameda is not as handy as some places, but it's only
> a short bus ride from downtown SF or downtown Oakland.
> I'd happy go elsewhere too.
>
> If folks are interested, I'll announce a meeting for a
> Saturday following the BAD meeting.

Hi, folks.

PVR Build-In will be Saturday 12 March, 11AM at my
second-floor apartment in Alameda (two blocks West of
Webster, near shoreline).  My apartment is second floor=20
and looks West, so I think we have a pretty good chance=20
of picking up San Francisco HDTV stations.

EFF has confirmed that they are sending the EFF build-in kit:

* EFF hat and a few t-shirts
* Cool case stickers
* KnoppMyth ISO - a CD with the latest KnoppMyth distribution
* Print version of "Cooking with EFF: KnoppMyth and pcHDTV for DTV
Liberation"=20

I told them I have two RSVP's so I assume they are only
sending three T-shirts.  Let me know ASAP if you plan to
show and maybe they'll send more.

If you want it to be an HDTV PVR, you'll need to get=20
a Linux-friendly HDTV tuner, such as the pcHDTV
(antenna-only) or Air2PC (antenna + unencrypted digital
cable).  EFF's instructions are for pcHDTV so that would
probably be simplest.  If you want to do Analog, that's fine
too- the cards typically do both cable and antenna.

EFF recommends a P4 at 3GHz+ with 800MHz FSB to record HDTV.

  http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/cookbook/guide.php#requirements

HDTV tuner cards seem to be going fast, so order right away!

The priority will be to get EFF HDTV PVRs up and running but=20
folks wanting to do analog are also welcome.  I believe the
EFF-supplied (KnoppMyth) CD supports has a pretty recent kernel=20
device lib.  Lower spec computers are OK for Analog, especially=20
if you have a card with hardware MPEG encoding.  See...

  http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1

I have limited room, so you'll need to RSVP me if you plan
to come.

Tony

--=20