2005 Mar 02 15:47

Re: [vox] Mounting a Shared Win2k Drive for Students--no write access?

on Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 07:03:38PM -0800, Steve Hargadon (steve.hargadon@gmail.com) wrote:
> > 1) file permissions are set by 'umask' not 'unmask'.  I don't know if that
> > was a typo in your email not.
> >

> Interestingly enough, I was using 'unmask' instead of 'umask', but
> with 'umask' I have the same result, or lack thereof.
>
> > 2) you will need to use 'gid=students' in conjunction with 'umask=002'.
> > Only putting gid will give you a read-only mode of 755 for the student
> > group, and only doing unmask=000 would do you nothing (see #1).  If you
> > only did umask=000, that would probably work, however it may not be what
> > you want.
>
> I tried this, I think correctly, and still my folder 'S-Drive' shows
> drwxr-xr-x.  If I chmod 777 'S-Drive' it doesn't give me any error
> output, but the permissions stay unchanged.

You can't chmod mountpoint permissions where the underlying FS doesn't
support permissions.  man mount and read the umask/fmask uid/gid options
for your filesystem.

> At one point I wondered if this problem might indicate an NTFS
> partition on the server,

The underlying filesystem is (mostly) orthogonal to use of SMB/CIFS.
The networking protocol handles the underlying file permissions.  RTFM
for particulars, as filesystems which have *no* u/g/w symantics present
their own special curves.

Peace.

    It has math, optics, and vivisection, but no computers, no code, and
    no high-speed pizza delivery.
    - Slashdot review of Neal Stephenson's _Quicksilver_