2005 Mar 03 23:55

Re: [vox] Mounting a Shared Win2k Drive for Students--no write access?

Re: [vox] Mounting a Shared Win2k Drive for Students--no write access?

Still crazy over this one.

Here is my command:

mount -t smbfs -o
rw,username=student,password=abc123,uid=210,gid=200,umask=002
//wind2ksrv/Students /S-Drive/

When I "ll" the directory I get

drwxr-xr-x  1  aharrington  students  ...

So it seems like everything is working except the permissions.  And if
the root can get write permissions, I figure that has to mean that
there is nothing from the Windows side getting in the way here?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:05:32 -0600, Jeremy Turner <jeremy@linuxwebguy.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:03:23PM -0800, Steve Hargadon wrote:
> > I've mounted a shared Win2k directory in a K12LTSP 4.2 setup at a
> > school where the students have traditionally all saved their work on
> > their old Windows machines.
> >
> > No matter what I do, I can't seem to get write access for the student
> > group id to be able to save documents.  Root can save, although it is
> > asked for a password confirmation, but nothing I have done has changed
> > the write permissions for the group.
> >
> > Here is the mount command I have used:
> >
> > mount -t smbfs -o username=student,password=abc123
> > //sharename/Students /S-Drive
>
> I usually use something like:
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username=student,password=abc123,uid=unixuid,gid=unixgid,umask=002 //sharename/Students /S-Drive
>
> where username/password correspond to the Win2k user, uid/gid correspond
> to the Linux user/group, and umask corresponds to the umask, giving the
> uid user and gid group 775 access to the system.
>
> Jeremy

Steve Hargadon
916-899-1400 direct