2005 Feb 09 15:46

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-announce] LUGOD invited to the 2005 Whole EarthFestival

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 01:46:21PM -0800, Steve Hargadon wrote:
> Think they would like an email garden populated by recycled computers?
>  I'd be glad to help set up and LTSP network...

That could be cool!  There are a few issues, though:

  1. The event is held outdoors.  (See the photos to get an idea)
     The first year, we were out in the boonies (closer to the Memorial Union
     building), and charging laptops off of outlets on light poles.
     The last two years, we've been hooked up to solar power
     (we've been specifically placed next to a solar power booth :^) )

  2. The only network I think we'd have access to is the campus wireless,
     and you need to be a student/faculty to get onto it, I think.
     I'm not sure what kind of wired or wireless access we could get for
     such a garden.

One other thought is that most of the attendees would probably prefer
throwing Frisbees(tm) and dancing in the grass, over sitting/standing in
front of a PC to check their email. :^)

HOWEVER, there's no reason NOT to suggest this.  The event coordinators
might be all for it, and might be able to help with regards to power & network!

Send 'em a note!  (See http://wef.ucdavis.edu/ for who to contact, I guess...
I just spoke with someone on the phone so far, and we'll be getting an
application and info packet in the mail to our PO Box)