2005 Feb 07 11:31

Re: [vox] Replacement Laptop

Please get one with an AMD chipset; best yet, get athlon-64! This will narrow your options down. Compaq and HP both have models with AMD64. My wife is looking at an Avertec model since they are lighter.

Jonathan

Richard S. Crawford wrote:
Well, since my Sony Vaio laptop was stolen, I'm looking to find a
replacement.  Requirements are a 17" screen (my Vaio had one, and I loved
it) and able to run Linux.  I've noticed that most laptops these days seem
to have wireless capability built into them, but I'm not all that
concerned about it; I have a Linksys card that I was able to get running
under FC3 with ndiswrapper, and that card was sitting on my desk at home
when my laptop was stolen.

Any recommendations?  Right now I'm pondering the HP zd8000, and I've read
that some people have had pretty good luck with Linux on that model.