Re: [vox] Dead Computer

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 07:49:27PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 December 2004 18:15, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > Loose cable maybe???  If not, bad motherboard/BIOS/IDE-controller.
>
> Hm.  If that's the case, can the computer even be salvaged?

cable problems can be trivially checked by running the following several
times and comparing the md5sum output

dd if=/dev/hda bs=1024k count=512 | md5sum

count= should be more than your physical ram.

hdparm tuning can be useful here... notably -c1 -d1, occasionally -u1 -w1
-m16.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/