2004 Nov 30 13:57

[vox] [fwd] Good news about geeks!

----- Forwarded message from Jason -----

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:42:30 -0500
From: Jason
Subject: [K12OSN] Good news about geeks!

I thought I would share this everyone:

The BBC reports that a report by Demos says that the all-consuming
passions of geeks and nerds may actually be beneficial for society. The
UK think tank's report published today, underlines the importance of
'Pro-Ams' -- amateurs who pursue a hobby or pastime, in many cases an
all-consuming passion, to a professional standard. The report says
Pro-Am astronomers have made 'significant contributions' to the
knowledge of the universe, while Pro-Am computer programmers are
providing the only serious challenge to Microsoft's dominance of
personal computing."

http://www.demos.co.uk/catalogue/proameconomy/

Jason

----- End forwarded message -----