2004 Nov 04 11:47

[vox] [fwd] Call for open-source interested/active [K-12]educators: Dissertation research

----- Forwarded message from Alec Couros <alec.couros@uregina.ca> -----

Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:18:54 -0600
From: Alec Couros <alec.couros@uregina.ca>
Subject: [school-discuss] Call for open-source interested/active educators: Dissertation research
To: schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net
Cc: alec.couros@uregina.ca

Hi everyone,

I am about to embark on my dissertation research data-collection. For
this, I am looking for K-12 educators who are involved in the use,
development of and/or advocacy of free and open-source software. If you
fit this description, and would be interested in sharing your
experiences, please contact me. If you don't seem to fit this
description, do you know anyone who does? Please let me know, or feel
free to pass on this message to others. I could really use everyone's
help on this. Please please. :-)

Participation will be done electronically, via email and online
discussion boards. Possibly other methods depending on the group that is
interested. There is not a lot of commitment (a few hours I am
thinking), but I would certainly love to hear of your experiences.

I am also particularly interested in activities that follow closely to
the open source movement such as open-publishing (e.g., blogging) and
open-content (e.g., learning object repositories). Collectively, I am
just referring to this as the open movement, and hoping to find
participants who are involved in these areas in the K-12 system.

*Purpose:* The purpose of this study is to gain insight into the
adoption practices of technological innovation by teachers, and in doing
so, develop theory which relates to the activities and beliefs of
participants in relation to adoption activities. Emphasis will be placed
on 'open' forms of collaborative practice.

*Some of my guiding questions include:*
1) What are the characteristics of the open (source) movement that
encourage and motivate members to participate in open (source) communities?
2) Does participation in open (source) communities encourage and/or
support the development and adoption of (technological) innovation by
teachers? If so, in what ways?
3) What perceived value is gained through the membership and
participation in open (source) communities?
4) What educational activities and experiences result from a
participantís membership in an open (source) community?
5) Are there common values and beliefs held by members of open source
communities, and if so, what are they?

Please feel free to circulate, trackback, comment, pass on, etc. Would
love to hear from you!

Alec Couros
IT Coordinator - University of Regina
http://www.educationaltechnology.ca/couros