2004 Oct 30 14:50

[vox] [Fwd] Re: [vox-announce] LUGOD in search of sponsorship

Mark replied to the vox-announce most from a few days back, but apparently
his e-mail address isn't subscribed to 'vox', so I'm fwd'ing it here for him.

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:41:57 -0700
From: "Mark Liechty" <mark@mlaccs.com>
Subject: [vox-announce] LUGOD in search of sponsorship

> We have composed a letter which we'll soon be sending to local
> businesses, and have created a web page with similar content here:
>   http://www.lugod.org/help/

I know it may be considered "counter productive" but there have been several
presentations that could easily be turned into fund-raisers.

For starters the TiVo and Wireless talks come to mind.  I'm not sure how
this would work out and since I am the "customer" side of the equation you
still need to find someone to provide the "service" but in both of these
cases I (and probably a few others) would much rather do business with the
user group and it's members than go elsewhere.

I don't think it goes against the mission of the User group since the
discussion is still based on doing it yourself.  We would simply be offering
an option for those who either don't have the time (me) or have other
strengths.

I know that we did this kind of thing with training at user groups in the
city and it worked out well.  We also had presenters pay for the right to
speak to the group but since most of the meetings I attend are with other
members who are presenting that is not going to work.  This is why I'm
pressing for some level of "services for sale" option.

Disclaimer: If this is a bad idea then it is my first mistake of the year.
Was hoping to save it up in case my wife did not like her Christmas present
but if I need to spend it now then so be it...

Mark Liechty MCSE, CNE, CCA
AKA "The Computer Guy"
MLA Computer Consulting Services
Office 916-434-9593