2004 Oct 14 22:21

Re: [vox] [OT] Simple mailing list service?

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Mark K. Kim wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a simple mailing list service that lets admins add
> > members without needing each individual's approval (either via e-mail or
> > web interface)?
>
> Opt-out spamming implementation, anyone?

I knew someone was gonna say that... though I had my bets on Rick M.
saying it before anyone else... =P (Love you, Rick!)

It's different from spams for various reasons.  One is that we already
have everyone's e-mail address, and they were given to us by the owners of
those e-mails for the purpose of our organization's membership.  I guess
each leader who wants to mail the group could put the membership list in
their own addressbook and mail everyone each time, but it's just a
meaningless effort when a simple mailing list can handle it (and let the
tech people worry about setting it up... -_-')  It also gives a
centralized repository for opting out of the mailing list instead of
having each leader deleting their names out of each leader's addressbook.

Another is that opting out *really* means opting out, and people
understand that because we're an official organization on our university
campus.  Not like spams where opting out really means potentially opting
in for a thousand other spams.

I guess the question is what should one do when one has a large
precompiled membership list, wants to inform every member on the list
about certain upcoming event or what not, and wants to make sure everyone
gets the message, with an assurance that the message reaches everyone that
wants to get it.  Mailing list is a reasonable solution, I think, and
given the situation and the circumstances that we're in, it'll be okay to
presubscribe everyone on our membership list as long as we provide a clear
way for individuals to unsubscribe from it.

But that's just my view, and nobody's going to agree on one thing, but
that's what the organizational leadership thinks would be good and I
agree, blah blah blah, so I'm just exploring the idea.

> One-on-one contacts are much more effective... the question is whether you
> can build a group of evangelists to implement some one-on-one contact
> strategy, and put results of those contacts into a shared database.

We got that, too, but you know what everyone's schedules are like at a
university campus.  It's erratic and depends so much on the exam schedules
for each class and people miss things left and right and these days the
best method of communication is without a doubt the e-mail.  I've
personally missed out a few events myself because I couldn't go to the
regular meetings to find out about those events because of my schedule.
Another reason I've missed out on things is because our organization's
website isn't kept up-to-date very readily, and unfortunately the
leadership doesn't have the know-how to edit the webpages themselves so
one of the members is doing that and his time and knowledge is quite
limited, too.  But the leadership could easily use a mailing list to keep
everyone informed about the upcoming events and so forth.

Again, not everyone's gonna agree on one thing.  Mailing list seems like a
good idea so far with everyone I've talked with.  We'll see how it's
received by everyone once it's online.

Anyway, keep those ideas coming.  Thanks all!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius