2004 Oct 14 11:57

[vox] [OT] Simple mailing list service?

Not quite Linux related, but certainly of interest to our knowledge base:

Does anyone know of a simple mailing list service that lets admins add
members without needing each individual's approval (either via e-mail or
web interface)?  I know it's a bad policy but the organization I'm working
with just wants a simple shorthand for mailing to everyone in the
organization without having to type everyone's e-mail address, and mailing
list seems like the best thing to do.

The subscription only needs to be under the admin's control, though if
someone wants to sign up I don't think that's a problem (or sign out, for
that matter.)  Same thing with the posts -- it's more like a newsletter
than a mailing list so the members don't really need to post anything, but
if they want to then it's not a big deal.

So far, I found yahoogroups.com and coollist.com both require user
approval.  We just wanna send things out from time to time to everyone in
the organization without getting everyone to opt-in.  (Opt-out is not a
problem if someone wants to do that, and if there's a feature for that
without going through the admin that'd be great but at the same time we
don't mind if the admin has to be bothered for opt-outs.)  We basically
wanna get over the hurdle of member apathy.

Thanks in advance!

-Mark

PS: Recent USC poll:

  Do you think voter apathy is a problem at USC?

    15% No.
    18% Yes, moreso than other schools.
    39% Yes, but no more than other schools.
    27% I don't care.

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius