2004 Sep 28 13:45

Re: [vox] LTSP, a School District, and Windows...

Re: [vox] LTSP, a School District, and Windows...

Steve, let me drop a note and contribute a bit of background research in case that's helpful.

If they want to avoid any additional license fees, then running it under Linux under Wine is probably your only choice. I don't find any current postings for this, and Wine has made major improvements so it is possible that it might work satifactorily for one or both of these. You may want to issue a repost asking specifically for someone with experience with Wine. And you'll probably also have to noodle on what Linux distro to test it on.

Of course, if there is flexibility with some license fees, then you also have options like CodeWeavers and Win4Lin, which may provide a stronger level of compatibility. In fact, these companies may be willing to do the compatibility testing for you in their own lab. If this is an option that you would like to investigate, I'd be glad to make some calls and persuade them to contribute some assistance on testing.

Hope this is helpful,

Ed

At some point in the dialog it may be useful to present alternatives to their current Windows apps. For example, would it be helpful to mention the possibility of any of these solutions?

Typing
GNU Typist http://www.gnu.org/software/gtypist/
Tux Typing http://tuxtype.sourceforge.net/
KTouch  http://ktouch.sourceforge.net/
Ten Thumbs (commercial - inexpensive) http://www.tenthumbstypingtutor.com/

Reading - looking at the index I didn't find anything that matches ReaderRabbit, so that hole may be hard to fill
(http://richtech.ca/cgi-bin/seul/seulvw.pl?category=Reading )