2004 Sep 26 17:45

Re: [vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

Re: [vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, ME wrote:
The only ways to install and upgrade without infection include:
* Sneaker-net with all updates (difficult, but not impossible)
* setup a filtered network/firewall to block all incoming connections and
protect your windows box while you upgrade.

There's another way. Do all the installations and patching offline by CD. Use the MS TechNet security bulletin search (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/CurrentDL.aspx) to download all the patches relevant to your install on something like a Linux box, then burn a CD of said patches. I also usually put a date ordered readme file so I can apply all the patches in order of release. The one good thing MS did with that TechNet search is you can restrict results not only by product, but also by service pack. It's more up-to-date and quicker than the CD by mail option that also exists.