January 6: Social gathering
2004 Sep 26 03:08

Re: [vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

Re: [vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

Bill Kendrick wrote:

I did find this, though:

PCs 'infested' with spy programs

'The average computer is packed with hidden software that can
secretly spy on online habits, a study has found.'

I've been wondering about this lately. I have two questions:

1) Usually when I read about spyware the issue seems to be the building of advertising profiles. The article Bill points to suggests there may be more serious problems. But I have yet to read about a specific privacy issue other than that dealing with advertising. So are there some serious spyware issues that people here know about?

2) To what extent, if any, is open source software better in terms of being spied on. I note that Spybot does not run on Linux. Bill's article mentions that some license agreements will tell you about spy programs that the product will put on your computer. And as an ex-Linux user (because of a motherboard problem) I am now refusing to except some of the licensing agreements I'm being asked to agree to. I had some concerns about Real Audio. And I've got concerns about my CD burning software. (I was using the KDE CD burning program to backup my Windows files before I became an ex-Linux user.) So my feeling has been that open source is better than Windows as far as spyware. But to what extent does spyware create a problem for the open source user?

Bob