2004 Sep 26 04:32

Re: [vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

Re: [vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

Richard Crawford wrote:

(and if I had more time I'd wipe
Windows and slap SuSE on it); as it is, I simply recommended that she
take the computer to CompUSA for a clean sweep.

Cool.

It led me to wonder: how long does is the average Windows PC on-line
before it's compromised? I'm sure that it has to do with the user's
browsing habits and all that and the tightness of the original
installation, but surely there are numbers on this somewhere?

I don't know the answers to any technical questions, but I just want to add some facts. Last weekend we took our son down to start school at U.C.S.C. We got him connected to their Res Net without a problem. He later e-mailed us saying that all Res Net computers had been disonnected. (Res Net is the ethernet connection for dorms.) On move in day, after U.C. Santa Cruz students connected their computers online to the Res Net system, one third of them became infected with a bad virus.

I don't use XP, but U.C.S.C. is requiring all XP users to download Service Pack 2. After a while the U.C.S.C. Res Net will not allow any users of XP to connect without a Service Pack 2 install (which is over 1 gig).

Bob