2004 Sep 25 11:40

Re: [vox] Recommend an OSS backup utility?

on Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 03:36:04PM -0400, John C. Alden (jcalden@toad.net) wrote:
> Hey all. I need a recommendation on a file backup utility.
>
> I'm looking for a Linix utility to do a backup
>   [compressed] {partial|differential|full}
> of a particular fileset to another file system (not a tape drive), and
> run, unattended, under cron.
>
> >From my searches on SourceForge, I came up with
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dar/
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/paranoia-backup/
>
> Amanda comes to mind, too.
>
> Any recommendations on these, or others I should consider?
>
> p.s. I'm running Red Hat Enterprise Linux ver 3.x, kernel 2.4.21-20.EL.

tar or rsync.

    http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2004-July/010081.html

Kragen Sitaker's rsync hacks post is a classic, and covers the multiple
differential "backups" (note that there's only one extant copy, the
others being hardlinks), keeping 15 days' worth of backups.

The runtime might be a little long for your liking.  Kragen was only
able to get it down to seven seconds.

Peace.

   Rules of Spam:
   #2:  If a spammer seems to be telling the truth, see rule #1.