2004 Sep 22 12:48

Re: [vox] [fwd] [svlug] mission critical computing and air safety

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 12:04:17PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2004 11:36 am, Tim Riley wrote:
>
> In general, the OS has no way to know when memory is in use
> by mistake (while the app is still running).  Regardless of
> whether a platform performs garbage collection (e.g. Java),
> it's not only possible but common for memory leaks to occur.
>
> > Should a person
> > have to reboot a computer every month to reset leaked memory?
>
> Of course not.  It's embarrassing.

I would think that Windows, like Linux would free up all leaked memory
when the application terminated, and that it should be sufficient to
restart the application, rather than restarting the whole computer.

Am I wrong about this?

--Ken Bloom

G'mar Chatima Tova