2004 Sep 08 14:53

Re: [vox] DSL providers?

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 02:15:45PM -0700, Henry House wrote:
> My roommate asked me:
>
> > Do you know any promotions going on, or anyone who has gotten
> > Comcast or Omsoft for a good deal recently?
>
> I figured that vox is a good place to pass along this question :-).
> I have heard almost entirely good reports about Omsoft and mostly
> good reports about Calnet, but mixed to bad reports about other
> providers. The current DSL (SBC) is quite terrible --- ssh sessions
> hang every few minutes, making the DSL almost unusable for work. A
> dynamic IP address is okay since I do not indend to run any servers.
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions about DSL providers, especially
> RECENT experiences.

I'm still paying $46.95/mo for Omsoft, but currently you can sign up
for $34.95. Why don't I switch? I don't want the outage while I cancel
and sign up agan.

They're a good service - it changes my IP a few times a day, but SSH
sessions generally last a long time. The most annoying thing about
them is their transparent web proxy.

Oh, and my typical download rate is 30kilobytes/sec.

In the LUGOD FAQ, we recommend Omsoft, and that recommendation is
probably still justified.

My key was last signed 08/18/2004. If you use GPG *please* see me about