2004 Sep 05 00:46

Re: [vox] [vox-admmapsin@lists.lugod.org]

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 12:04:43AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> [snip]
> > this sort of thing more often lately: people finally getting wise to
> > the simple spam guards.
> >
> > --
> > Micah J. Cowan
> > *****@cowan.name
>
> It's not a good idea to put your e-mail address in your sig -- it doesn't
> get munged in the archive, and it so gets harvested by the spambots.
> Here, I've screened it for your benefit, with ***stars***.  'cuz YOU'RE A
> STAR...!

Actually, I wasn't pointing this out so much for my own benefit: it's
*way* too late for that (posting to USENET without bothering to mask
your e-mail address will do that: especially posting to asian
newsgroups will do that...).

Actually, now that I think about it chances are this particular
spammer was not smart enough to remove the "maps" after all in
sending: just lifted it "as-is" for the sender. But I have gotten mail
where the To header was both micah@comapsan.name and micah@cowan.name,
etc. from other sources, so I think they're doing it... although the
points you made could certainly cast some doubt on it: but I do
believe that they've started to get wise to the guards at any rate...

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name